D2 - Compare and contrast the regulatory implications for the
article relevant to the medium in which it is transmitted
Regulatory Implications
One of the regulatory implications that is extremely
important is making sure that the accuracy and standards of the reporting are
acceptable. By acceptable I mean that there is no libel, slander or false
information. This is important when trying to publish an article without
implications as factual reporting means that the implications are minimized as
the article is factual and just.
Reporters are expected to be as accurate as possible given
the time allocated to prepare a story and find reliable sources. This means
that if an event or subject happens there needs to be enough time left for a
reporter to create a story that is not guessing or incorrect. Time needs to be
allocated for the sources and information to be found reliable. This does not
apply to my article as there was no time frame for me to finish the article, as
the number of children in the school would not rise until the next year.
Independent fact-checking by another employee of the
publisher is desirable. This suggest that if I was in a team writing an article
that someone else would also have to fact check the article, checking the
sources for reliability as well as making sure that the article is accurate and
factual. Could have followed this rule
as it would allow for me to have a more accurate article if one of the sources
that I have used is not actually reliable.
One of the most important things when writing an article is
that corrections are published when errors are discovered. This means that if I
was to report ion something wrong I would have to amend it take the original
down and release the new article with the correct information, with the
statement down below saying that this has been amended. This is important as it
is key when writing news articles that the information has to be factual and
correct, leaving incorrect information on the internet or even worse having it
published is a serious problem as it could be libel.
when writing an article it is important hat opinion surveys and statistical information deserve special
treatment to communicate any conclusions, to contextualise the
results, and to specify accuracy, as well as making sure that when the article is written that estimated error is written about. This has applied for my article because I have used an old
estimate of the number of school children in the northwest, I suggest that it
has probably increased since the census was competed, meaning that there is
more children in the UK attending schools.
Ethical and Moral Implications in Journalism
Ethical
It would be unethical of me to start to apply blame to a
certain person or people group for creating a rise in the school numbers in the
UK, as there is no true cause for the reason. I have strayed away from talking
about politics or reasons for cuts in the UK school system as a way to make
sure that the article is local to Deyes High and nowhere else.
Moral
Some moral implications are things such as moral panic.
Moral panic is when an inflammatory article is published that sparks anger or
worries from the public that read it. For example, during the Ebola crisis in
west Africa during 2014. The American media went crazy with stories about the
virus and how a woman who had been to west Africa who had come back to the US
was infected. This created panic in the US as the media went crazy creating
stories and interviewing CDC members. The panic created by the media in the US
caused several to wear gasmasks and hazmat suits around the Texas area where
the woman had visited.
I
have made sure that in may article I have not used an inflammatory language or
sensationalist language to create moral panic. For example, I could have spun
the article suggesting that the schools in the north west are filled to the
brim with children and that the system is extremely close to failure. Instead I
chose to write the article stating the facts and some of the problems with
larger school sizes.
No comments:
Post a Comment