M4 - Structure of My Article
For my article I have tried to
structure it in a way that makes sense and that makes the article flow in a
comprehensible manner. When creating my article, I created some sub headings
that I would use to help plan out the article, these sub headings were as
follows
· UK General
· Deyes Comparison
· Affected Learning
· Conclusion
Making these subheadings really
helped out as I was able to categorise all the information, primary and
secondary sources under one of these headings and pick out quotes or statistics
that I could use to tell the article to the reader. I started off by looking at
the UK as a whole as it allowed me to talk about the growing number of children
being born in the UK and when the baby boom started, as well as the amounts of
secondary schools in the UK and the average class sizes for all of the schools.
Next I talked about how Deyes
High compares to the national average, suggesting that Deyes was an average
sized school based upon some secondary research. This was so that the reader
could align Deyes High with the national averages, so that I could show that
the school is slightly oversubscribed. I used the interview that I had
conducted with Mr Ellis to show that the school is oversubscribed as he told me
in the interview. I had the opportunity to talk about some of the areas in
which the school does well and some places where the problems arise.
Affected learning is when I
compared what Mr Ellis said about the school and the children learning in a
class larger than 30, to what secondary sources said about learning when in a
class larger than 30. This section is
mainly for parents who will be able to see if the school believe there is a
problem with the size of the classes, to generate their own opinion on the
subject.
The Conclusion acts as a final statement where I get to explain my point of the article, as I had an opinion that I wanted to get across during the article, so having a closing statement in the conclusion is a good idea as it leaves the reader something to think about.
Mode of Address
I have made sure to use the correct mode of address to
complete the article. I have only used 3rd person when writing, to
make it seem as if it were a conversation between the writer and the audience. I have only used third person when writing the article, when there are quotes I
have left them in the first person as it is what the person interviewed said.
I have made it so that the news article is in an overarching
opinion of the question. As I am the gatekeeper for how the article is written
and how the audience will receive the news, I have been able to give my opinion
throughout with the choice of language that I have used.
I made the title a rhetorical question because I thought it
would spark interest for the reader because it makes them question if they
think Deyes is overcrowded. It also could be used to intrigue people into
wanting to find out if it is overcrowded if they don’t have an opinion already.
Overall this was a good thing to do as lots of news articles are either using a
rhetorical question, alliteration a pun or they are just a regular statement.
This mode of address is almost as if I were talking directly to the reader,
creating a sense of conversation around the article.
I have mainly used Elaborative Code as i wanted the article to be accessible for all as well as the article being seen as informative, I have chosen to write it this way because I wanted my article to act as an in-depth analysis of why the school may or may not be overcrowded. I didn't want to put an emotive spin on it as I just wanted to get the facts across. If I applied this mentality to another article I believe that the style of writing most likely represents that of a Telegraph or Independant News Article as I believe them to be the most likely to focus more on facts than sensationalising or using restrictive code to get a story across.
No comments:
Post a Comment